|Scenario: The Wonders of Catan
|3/4 players, ca. 60 minutes|
|1. The Story
It is been long since the last barbarian attack on Catan. It has been even longer since the last Pirate attack. Peace and prosperity prevail on the island. In gratitude, the princes of Catan decided to adorn the island with great works of architecture. Soon a contest had arisen - who will build the first Wonder of Catan?
|2. Required Material
- Components from the basic game and the Seafarers expansion - 3 Wonder cards (cut out and paste on cardboard, if desired) - 4 chips or coins
|Construct the scenario as follows:|
|Port Tiles: 8 (Five Special Ports and Three 3:1 Ports)
Preparation is the same as in the basic game and Seafarer expansion. Initial Settlements may not be placed on the small islands or on crossings marked with colored circles. Each player receives one Chip. The Wonder cards are placed to the side of the playing surface.
1. General Rule Modifications
Gameplay is the same as the basic game and Seafarer expansion, with the following details: - If during the course of the game, a player builds a Settlement on a small island, he receives a bonus Victory point. - The Pirate is not used in this scenario. The Robber is placed on one of the desert spaces.
2. Building the Wonders of Catan
- A player can begin to construct a Wonder when he meets the Wonder's listed requirements. For example, a player may start to construct the Colossus only after he has a port and a trade route consisting of at least 5 consecutive roads / ships.
- The building of a Wonder is divided into four stages. Each stage costs the resources shown on the Wonder card.
- If a player fulfills the requirements for a Wonder, he takes the corresponding card and places it in front of him. Now this is the Wonder he must build. Other players are no longer able to build this Wonder; they must go for a different Wonder.
- When a player building a Wonder has the required resources, he may turn them in and place his Chip on quadrant "1" of the Wonder card. The next time he turns in the set of cards, he moves the chip to "2," etc.
- If a player has enough resources, he may advance several stages in the building of his Wonder on the same turn.
A player wins:
- If he finishes building his Wonder on his turn (all 4 stages), or
- If he has at least ten Victory points and a higher stage completed of his Wonder than any other player.
The scenario condition can also be played with the following victory condition:
A player wins if on his turn he completes his Wonder, or acquires 11 Victory points.
After the scenario is played several times, you may change the numbered tiles or land hexes during preparation. Only the numbered tiles and land hexes bordering the red and brown points should not be changed.
|Scenario Created by Klaus Teuber, Translation by Anthony M. Rubbo, Edited by William Niebling|